Norton Engineering Inc. is working with the Institute of Catastrophic Loss Reduction (ICLR) on number of significant projects, including "Societal Costs of I/I", "Evaluation of the Ontario Building Code as it Relates to I/I", and "Engineering Data and Flood Risk". She also sits on the Durham Climate Resistance Standard Technical Committee, the ICLR Municipal Advisory Committee and is a member of the WEAO Collections System Committee.
Barbara was appointed as Chair of the 20-member committee of industry experts developing the new CSA Guideline (to become a Standard) Z800, Basement Flood Protection. The draft Guideline was posted for public review in December 2017.
In addition, Norton Engineering Inc. is currently providing engineering services to a variety of projects, including:
- I/I Program Management and general township engineering services for Township of Woolwich (2001 to ongoing)
- Subconsultant for the Region of York Inflow and Infiltration Reduction Practises for New Subdivisions (2017)
- Subconsultant for the Region of York Survey of Local Municipal Practices wrt I/I related practices (2018)
- Subconsultant to private engineering consultant on Halton Region Burlington & Oakville Downspout Disconnect Project (2017 to Phase 2 (2018))
- Subconsultant to private engineering consultant on Fort Erie PCP (2017 to ongoing)
- Pilot Projects on Flooding & Engineering Data: City of Kingston, City of Waterloo, City of Windsor (2017 to ongoing)
- Review of New Subdivision Flow Monitoring Data: Welland (2018)
- Interpretation of Ontario Building Code and National Building Code of Canada with respect to I/I issues (various clients: ongoing)
- Barbara is working with the Ontario Plumbing Inspectors Association on various initiatives related to reducing private side I/I (2017 to ongoing)